AMSA and the World Maritime Organization (IMO) celebrated World Maritime Day (WMD) by ‘lighting up’ three iconic Australian heritage lighthouses in blue and green last night.
Every year, AMSA highlights our maritime industries through World Maritime Day. The international theme this year is ‘technologies for a greener future’.
Some of the impressive imagery taken overnight includes:
- The iconic Macquarie Lightstation brilliant in blue and green above the Eastern suburbs of Sydney lit up by the Sydney Harbour Federation Trust.
- Historic Flagstaff Point in Wollongong in sharp contrast against a backdrop of boiling clouds.
- Just in time for Halloween, a windswept Cape Naturaliste lighthouse radiant with a blue aura.
Due to technical issues, the Australian National Maritime Museum in Sydney was not able to light up their stunning Cape Bowling Green Lighthouse, however spectacular images were taken earlier in the week of the landmark bathed in blue and green against the resplendent Sydney skyline.
Images of the lighthouses can be downloaded here: https://spaces.hightail.com/space/9fu0sqhooO
Please reference images courtesy of:
- Flagstaff Point Lighthouse – Ian Clifford
- Macquarie Lightstation – Sydney Harbour Federation Trust
- Cape Naturaliste Lighthouse – Tod Kearns
- Cape Bowling Green Lighthouse – Australian National Maritime Museum, Sydney
The IMO and AMSA are working with member states to bring about positive changes by decarbonising the international shipping industry.
While shipping is the world’s most energy efficient method of mass-cargo transport, the shipping industry still contributes over 2 per cent of the world’s carbon emissions.
Harnessing new, greener technologies will make a significant contribution towards addressing climate change and meeting the United Nations Sustainable Development goals.
The IMO’s initial goal is to reduce shipping’s total annual greenhouse gas emissions by at least 50 per cent by 2050, consistent with the Paris Agreement temperature goals.
Technological innovation and the global introduction of alternative fuels and energy sources for international shipping is key to achieving this ambition.
Australia proactively supports this through influencing and implementing IMO environment regulation and investing in alternate fuels.
Harbour Trust media enquiries: Contact Lily Pai on 0477 268 919 or Lily.Pai@harbourtrust.gov.au