AMSA wishes Gabo Island Lighthouse near Mallacoota in eastern Victoria a happy 160th birthday today.
First lit on the 20 August 1862, the 47-metre high tower is built of brilliant red granite and has successfully guided vessels past Victoria’s north-east coast for many years.
During World War II, a radar and signal station managed by RAAF personnel was erected on the site of the then-demolished Flinders Light.
The island is separated from the mainland by a shallow channel, about one kilometre wide. Supplies in the early days were delivered by ship and later by helicopter.
In circa 1935, the lighthouse was converted to electric-diesel operation which saw the 1st Order lens replaced with a 4th Order 3-panel lens which remained in operation until 1992 when the site was converted to solar power.
The lighthouse is currently fitted with a Tideland Nova-250 LED beacon and AMSA manages the lighthouse as a critical aid to navigation.
The Commonwealth heritage-listed tower is celebrated for its place within Victoria’s and the East Gippsland region’s social and maritime history, its aesthetic domination over the island and its outstanding stonemasonry and architectural form.
Learn more: Commonwealth Heritage List
AMSA Heritage Strategy 2022-2025 AMSA Heritage Lighthouse Interactive Map